INFORMATION TO CUSTOMERS:
We strive to keep our prices reasonable so that our customers can continue to make quilts for themselves and their loved ones and friends. To avoid extra charges, please note:
- If you require your quilt in a hurry, let us know! We do not open boxes until we are ready to work on them, so if your “need by” date is inside the box, we are unaware of it. Please email your “need by” date and also write it in large letters on the outside of your box so that we see it when it arrives. Please note, we do charge for rush orders.
- If you require our expertise in figuring backing and/or binding requirements, and you do not buy your fabric here, we do charge for our time.
- Make sure that your quilt is folded neatly when you ship or bring it in. This makes a large difference when loading in the frame. A quilt that isn’t folded neatly must be pressed so that it will lay and quilt properly.
- Make sure that you include all your contact information so that if we have questions we can reach you.
- Please make sure that you give us all information on your quilt, quilting pattern if you have a preference, batting to use and if we are to bind. If you don’t state differently, we will bind your quilt.
- Do not fold all the pieces of your quilt together. We need front, back and batting separated so please bring it to us that way. If it is all together, the quilt and batting are apt to stretch when separating.
- Adhesives are a no go. We will not use backings/battings that have been glued and will substitute ours at regular pricing.
- If you have triangles (6 or more that meet at a point) please either nest your seams or press them open. If they are large hard points we cannot quilt over them and will use a pattern of our choosing.
- Do not send quilts that smell strongly of perfumes or smoke. Please wash these before sending.
- If sending more than one quilt, please tag each quilt separately with instructions and place each quilt (and backing/batting if sending) in its own bag. All in one box is fine, but bagged separately ensures that we know exactly what goes with each quilt.
- Customer supplied batting will be used at our discretion. It MUST be bonded. Folded cotton batting retains its folds and is apt to not pull evenly when in the frame. Should supplied batting not meet our standards, we will substitute our batting at regular prices.
- Check information on your batting. If it states “can be quilted up to 3 inches apart” or some variation, a larger pattern will not work as the batting will separate.
- Supplied batting must be larger than your quilt top by 3” all around the quilt. If your quilt measures 90”x100”, your supplied batting must be 96”x106”. HOWEVER, if you know that your quilt is super stretchy, it is a good idea to allow some extra inches. We don’t mind a little extra, but too much just gets in the way of things. If we have to cut it down, we will charge for this.
- If you piece your backing please make sure that all edges are equal. Please do not send backing that has uneven edges. We need straight edges load a quilt in the frame will charge if we have to straighten them.
- We ask for 3”* on each side and on the top and bottom, not hugely extra amounts as this again is hard to deal with. (90x100 quilt needs a 96x106 back). If your provided backing is close to the same size as your top or not large enough, we will substitute our tonal at regular pricing. If your supplied backing is quite a bit larger than your quilt, we will charge to cut it down to size.
- *Minky backing must be 10” larger, not 6” larger than your quilt top. Additionally, there are many varieties of Minky fabrics. We will use supplied Minky at our discretion.
- If we are to use supplied backing as binding, there needs to be ample fabric on one end of the backing to just cut off and use. If we have to trim all around to get the binding, we will charge for this.
- Please wait until your quilt is returned to you to add labels. It takes time to verify location of label and break the pattern when quilting and we do charge for our time.
- Pieced backing should be single seams. We will not quilt over hems, and hemmed fabric does not feed through the frame properly. We will charge to remove hems if you leave them in.
- Pieced backing should all be the same type of fabric. Satins quilt differently than cottons and may incur extra charges to quilt.
- If you piece your backing, please bear in mind that we cannot see the back when we are quilting, and cannot be certain to miss where pieces come together. If seams on the top of the quilt match up where the seams on the bottom are, there is a very real danger of breaking needles. Broken needles tear quilts.
- If you want to send your binding, please make certain that you send enough. We are perfectly happy to cut your binding into strips as needed, but if you do cut it before sending, please note the following:
- *Quilts and bindings using cotton or cotton blends, please cut binding 2 ½” wide. We will not use binding that is narrower than 2 ½”.
- *Quilts or bindings using flannel or minky need wider binding. Generally, that is 3-3 ½”, but it is best to let us see it and then decide.
- *Scalloped edges of a quilt may require wider binding. We’ll need to look at it. Scalloped edged binding is extra.